by Kris Reid  June 18, 2006 8:35 pm

Trackback URL


  1. by cyanne2ak June 21, 2006 at 4:40 pm

    This is completely legal. You don’t have to agree to it. However, he can press criminal charges against your son and still sue you for the amount he’s asking (or more). I suggest you consult an attorney about this. If it really does cost that much to fix the window to EXACTLY THE WAY IT WAS before your son broke it, then that is the MINIMUM that he will win in court. He may be cutting you a huge break, so keep that in mind.

  2. by Elo Fudpucker June 22, 2006 at 2:28 pm

    You are not responsible for what your teenage son did unless you were negligent……..He cannot make you pay for the damage, I would advise you and your son go to the police and explain all this to them. Your son will get into trouble, but this might save his life later on…..This sounds like blackmail…………Nuf Said

  3. by Don M June 24, 2006 at 7:53 am

    You should count yourself lucky that you are getting away with just paying him $15,000. Your son could go to jail if he presses charges and you will still be subject to fines, court costs, etc., that could STILL add up to $15,000. A good lesson for your son would be to earn half of the money, and as an act of faith on your part, you’ll match him dollar for dollar. However, put a time limit on things and get the owner’s agreement, and if your son fails to live up to the agreement, the owner can still press charges. I think it would be a good life lesson.

    It’s not about what your neighbor “needs”. It’s about what the law allows and what options you are being given outside of that.

    It may be an expensive lesson but a good one to learn. Just be glad the owner didn’t shoot your son instead.

    I am truly sorry if this is tough love — I wish you guys luck.


  4. by Phoenix, Shadeslayer June 26, 2006 at 10:45 am

    He has every right to expect you to replace exactly what your son destroyed. You can try to negotiate a lower cost, but he can take you to court for the full cost and likely win. If the window cost him $15,000 to begin with, then why shouldn’t you have to pay to replace it with equivalent materials?

    It’s possible the window didn’t really cost that much, but seriously, you break it, you buy it. Get a lawyer and have the lawyer work it out. YOU (and your son) are fully responsible for the damage, no matter what it costs.

  5. by CDog June 27, 2006 at 6:32 am

    Its not your concern how much this man makes, its great to be succesful. I think your son is a menace to society and hes lucky he didnt get shot, or spend a few years in jail. He should have to pay what the man is asking if that is the value. How bout if someone stole your $15,000 car and trashed it, then they said you dont need a car of that value you can get a car for 1/3 the price, would you agree with them?

  6. by Arizona Chick June 27, 2006 at 5:12 pm

    Yes he can ask for that but in court you have a better chance in getting that number lower and there is another thing in the law you will get 3 different company’s to give a amount on what the damage really is not how much the guy paid for that window and trust me that is allot of money to ask for. First I would let you know if this is your sons first time with any crime he may get a slap on the hand like community service and you can ask for house arrest if you want. So that he is grounded not by just you but the law as well he will learn what he did was bad and then depending on the state you don’t pay a thing the child does if he is old enough to get a job. There is ways to get payments through the courts so it will not break you if you are the one having to pay at all. But I know my son would pay for it himself in any way he can if he did that. So don’t settle out of court let the court help you out by getting your son straightened out and the cost of that window is going to be less then the owner will ask for.

    I do have a few questions though.

    Did you have your lawyer for your son at this mans house?
    Did this man show proof of the cost he paid for that window and the other things broken in the house?

  7. by granapts June 30, 2006 at 5:23 pm

    I agree with cyanne 2a and the person who so wisely suggested your son pay for 1/2 of the damage.
    Beyond that, I want you to think.
    If someone came in your house and ruined your sofa and then tried to replace it with one of those plastic outdoor chairs because THEY said it was the same thing, somewhere for you to sit; would you think that was fair to you ?
    This is a great opportunity for you to teach your son respect for himself and other ‘s. Make him accountable and responsible for his actions. He is still a minor but too old to be having you sanction his behavior or defending any of this because you are frustrated.
    I am sorry you are going through this, good luck.

  8. by Old Timer July 3, 2006 at 12:12 am

    There are specific crimes that cannot be resolved with a handshake or the offering of restitution. House breaking is one such crime. You and the house owner can be charged in a court of law for concealing a criminal act or aiding and abetting a criminal act. The law makes it imperative that such criminal acts are deemed “reportable, or else..”. On the question of “compounding” the offense by offering to make good the damage (if its legal in your country) – It has nothing to do with the preference of the owner or why he paid such a high price for an item, why he never made any contributions to the poor, his age, etc. It’s his prerogative. You cannot damage a Ferrari and replace it with a Nissan and believe that it’s fair restitution. If your son is charged in court and found guilty, the owner can seek recourse in a civil court to sue you or your son to recover the cost of the damage to his property.

  9. by eldoradodave July 5, 2006 at 11:58 pm

    Elo IS WRONG!!!! YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR SON’s actions!!! Unless you have him turned over to the court system and declare him incorrigable thereby making him a “Ward of the State”He then will be sent to a juvenile detention center till he is 18 and after that will spend time in a State Prison( I hear 18 yr olds’ DO NOT FAIR WELL IN THESE STATE FACILITIES) untill he is at least 21 yrs old.; You might ask the Gentleman if you could get a 2nd bid? I mean, he does have the right to his property restored back to what was there before your son decided to go “Breaking & Attempting to Enter”which in all 50 states gives you the “Right defend your home and those in it if someone poses a risk to harm ,maim,or kill anyone gives the occupant the ‘Right to USE DEADLY FORCE to stop them. ( your son was carrying a crow bar and that is considered a deadly weapon and the occupant hasthe right to stop them using anything from a baseball bat to a 12 guage shotgun and is not required to try to shoot them in the leg to stop them but to kill them ) You should count your blessings you aren’t burying your son instead of paying for the damages. Also, Why did your son decide that he had the right to damage and break-into somone’s home?Why are you “Discusted that this young man has so much expensive “stuff’ that he fought for and bought with legally earned money? What have YOU AND YOUR SON CONTRIBULATED LATELY TO SOCIETY????Do you realizehow much training,and working out and conditioning he had to do ? The old saying is “To train for a 12 rd fight, Ya got to train 12,000 min”!It sounds to me like YOU ARE JEALOUS OF WHAT HE HAS ACCOMPLISHED!!!You could have just a much “expenive stuff” as he has if you and your son are willing to get out work for it!!! Your son ,if not dealt with now, is either going to end up in jail, or worse,DEAD!!!! So, ask him for a 2nd bid and get ready to replace exactly what he had ,or go to court and pay more for the bay window ,along with lawyer fees for your son and court costs!!!! Had I done something like this whn I was a “kid” ,my Dad would have bear my a— off as well as work off the window repair by getting any odd or regular jobs + working for the neighbor for free doing what ever he needed done( cutting grass,waxing cars,painting,etc,etc) and I would have to publicly apolgize for what I did to his house everyday

  10. by Jan July 8, 2006 at 12:32 pm

    Yes he does. He has the right to have his property the way it was before it was destroyed by your son. If someone smashed my car,I would expect them to repair my car with new parts,not ones they got from the junk yard.
    He is entitled to have all the expensive things he wants,he paid for them. Your son was not entitled to destroy this mans property.
    I’d say he is giving you and your son a break.If he takes you to court,you could be paying much more.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

© Smash Repairs 2018.