by Kris Reid  February 27, 2010 2:29 am
Smash Repairs
skinnyminniekitten asked:


Trackback URL


  1. by Jo M March 2, 2010 at 10:17 am

    if you’ve only broken lights then then it may be cheaper just to have them replaced by the garage and miss out the insurance company all together – and it’s not a big job, an hour or two.

  2. by timsdad March 4, 2010 at 5:54 am

    you may be able to “buy” the car from the insurance after they right it off!
    they give you what is worth and you get it fixed, but the main thing is that it could have been worse, you could have been hurt.
    glad you weren’t

  3. by Moofies Mom March 6, 2010 at 7:18 am


    The insurance companies are quite good in settling quickly these days.

    My car was a write off and I had the cheque in my hands in less than a week of the accident.

    The Police are right in saying they don’t want to be involved – they’re only obliged if someone is injured.

    Don’t forget to pay a visit to your doctor as you may have a claim against the other driver for your injuries, no matter how minor. You may find tomorrow you will be quite stiff around your upper body.

    Best of luck!

  4. by Gillian C March 7, 2010 at 6:51 pm

    Depends on when the insurance asser can get to look at your car. It took three days for my son to get his written off after the insurance asser came on the day of accident. Was given a hire car until they paid him out within two weeks.

  5. by hans March 9, 2010 at 2:54 am

    basically whatever the amount you said the car was worth when got a quote, just say £1000, and the damage is over half the amount they will just call it a write-off. you can either keep the car- but they wont give you full asking price to claim back and you can repair the damage yourself or you cut your losses on the car and take the cash from insurance company. then you can buy another car.

    if it is simple, the police saw it and its gone to a garage or an impound place its just a case of the insurance company getting on the phone to the person who has the car and getting details. then you will receive a cheque.

    if you have driven the car home and its outside your house, it takes longer as they will have to arrange to come out and see the damage of the car. could take up to 2months.

  6. by Colin M March 9, 2010 at 12:22 pm

    It’s wise to make a formal report to the police, if only to get a reference to pass to your insurers. They probably won’t do anything else.

    You’ve done the right thing in passing it on the the insurance company. What happens now is they will arrange for an inspection of your car and an estimate for the repairs. Often, if the cost will be more than 60% – 80% of the car’s value they will write it off.

  7. by Poppet March 12, 2010 at 8:48 am

    The other person involved may not want the insurance companies involved either. If he accepts it is his fault you will claim on his insurance and then he will lose his no claims which could make his future premiums sky rocket, and the excess could be more than the work that needs doing.

    If you have all his details you may be better ocntacting him, ask if he is accepting liability, if so would he rather settle out of insurance. If he does you can take the car to peugot, get a quote, send him this and wait for him to give you the money (and wait for the cheque to clear if it is a cheque), then have the work done. You will have to give him confirmation that you no longer require anything from him. i.e. you are not going to continue with the insurance claim.

    that way you get it done for nothing, you don’t have to involve the insurance companies, and he may be happier with that as he doesn’t lose out either.

    If he isn’t going to accept liabilty then unfortunately you just have to be patient and wait for the insurance company to go through all the procedures! Its a long process but as soon as both insurance companies are talking to each other it should be pretty fast.

  8. by CLIVE H March 13, 2010 at 11:37 pm

    If a driver comes out of a side turning and hits your vehicle, he then is in the wrong. All you are required to do here in UK is exchange insurance details. Next step is to phone your insurance company give them the other driver’s details and let the insurance companies ague it out.

    You are in the right mate. What you described happened to me a couple of years ago on Blackfriars road here in London. This guy shot out of a side street to my right and whacked into the front right fender of my car [company car actually]. The air bags blew, my female passenger, a French girl, got out and began banging on the top of the other guy’s car. Needless to say we got a lot of wonga out of this in the end.

    Keep receipts for anything you do in respect of your claim. Any additional travel expenses, letters you might need to write, postage, telephone call costs, etc. In fact every item of expense concerning your claim – you must keep and present a receipt. Your insurers will claim all of this back from the other driver’s insurance. No sweat. If you are forced to use taxis to go to and from anywhere on business etc. claim, claim and claim.

    Go for it!

  9. by BARROWMAN March 16, 2010 at 9:05 am

    An insurance assessor may visit and inspect the car to verify the damage and asses the cost of repairs, or the insurance company may direct you to take the car to a local repairer who is authorised to asses the damage on their behalf. Whatever happens you have to wait for the process to happen. Did you get the Identity number of the police officer who witnessed the accident? His testimony could be vital in the matter of attaching blame. Remember the first rule of insurance companies is to find a reason why they should NOT pay out.

  10. by Pedro S March 17, 2010 at 2:06 am

    ALWAYS get a police report…the other driver can say it was your falt and his insurance company will fight it out .. it could take time..

  11. by ANF March 18, 2010 at 1:09 am

    Go to different garages and get no insurance involved quotes for putting right the damage. You do not have to claim on your insurance even if the other driver does. You do still need to inform your insurance and send in a written report. The police witness is a plus point for you so go get the name and numbers of the officers that were witness. Not wanting to be involved is not an option for them. Your insurance company will act on your behalf with the other driver’s and you should have your status restored to that as it was before the crash. Best of luck.

  12. by HUGH M March 21, 2010 at 9:53 am

    Sorry to read about your problem.
    If you were not travelling at an excessive speed, the driver of the car on the left entering the road you had right of way is clearly guilty of an offence. The Police are reluctant to deal with such minor damage cases because the Insurance Companies will foot the bill for repair.
    The matter of repair times is up to the body repair shop and they would be able to give you an estimate. As the other driver was at fault, you would also be in a position to demand a courtesy car for your personal use (talk to your Insurance Company). They will not be able to make a judgement on the ‘write off’ until a repairer of their choice give a decision on cost of repair.
    If it transpires that the Insurance Company does write off your car, you will be offered a sum of money in lieu of the car. Consider this and see if you can improve on the value by asking for a second hand value from a Peugeot dealer. Good luck.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

© Smash Repairs 2018.