by Kris Reid  April 17, 2010 7:44 am

I was in an accident on my part. I was planning to switch insurance companies thatweek so cancelled one to use another that i hadn’t finalized yet. My car is pretty nice 2004 14,000 dollar red tinted windows fully automatic…V6. I bought the car several months ago and make monthly payments on it. Now the car is sitting in an auto body shop a car behind me slammed into me and my gas tank was smashed in and my rear crashed in and the back window. Other than that it still drives, all wheels on and front 100 percent in tack, but because of gas tank won’t open and needs replacement an est. cost for repair is 7,000. What should I do? I can’t afford repairs on my own. I realize what an idiot i was to drive without coverage even for a day. Should I just sell my car or to a junk yeard. I’m still making mo. payments on it though. I’m so confused and i have to get it out of lot it is in right now by friday or they will put a lien on it…Yikes……Any advice and useful knowledge ASAP!!!!
WOW…thanks for so many answers…I think i should bring it home and continue making payments on it huh? It was co-owned to make matters terribly worse and i haven’t told the other person. If didn’t may they were the co-signer… so i have no choice.

Trackback URL


  1. by edgar April 17, 2010 at 7:59 am

    You got to fix it, or i guess you can default on the loan and let them repposes it. but that looks bad on your bredit.

  2. by chulhui123 April 17, 2010 at 8:19 am

    I would get a friend with insurance to smash his/her car into yours and then get your car fixed with insuance money….just a thought

  3. by Tammi D April 17, 2010 at 9:15 am

    move south of the border

  4. by Yamadog April 17, 2010 at 10:06 am

    first, i believe u will have an issue with the drivers bureau. get that straight. Then shop around for an agent. What u have is private property. Whoever loaned u money whould want a policy to protect their loan unless u paid cash. a lawyer would want $$$ and if u got a ticket involved, most likely the crasher, then there is the money. It would most likely come fm the party that caused the accidentt.

  5. by enzotiger3 April 17, 2010 at 10:48 am

    wow!!! i feel your pain!!! i got in an accident a year ago, and i didn’t have insurance. i paid a $260 ticket, and i am still paying $260 a year for some driver responsibity bullcrap for the next year, and i had to fix my car for like $800. so u see, i understand what you are going through. if you got rear-ended, the other drivers insurance is supposed to pay for whatever damages.

  6. by Talon April 17, 2010 at 10:57 am

    We all learn from our mistakes don`t we. Take the car home, make your payments until you can get another body shop to check it out, or put it up for sale and still make payments on it.

  7. by Fred C April 17, 2010 at 11:56 am

    You can’t put new insurance in place until the vehicle is repaired and safety check, for one. You may or may not be able to claim on the driver that hit you, depending on the law in your state. You will be ticketed if you haven’t been already. You will have to pay the car off. If you sell it as is, that is fine, but, if it sells for less than the pay-out on the loan, the difference becomes due immediately.

  8. by No picture April 17, 2010 at 12:02 pm

    I doubt you have $7K damages. Body shops inflate estimates ridiculous amounts.
    Gas tanks, windows, and rear body parts can all be found in salvage yards. I’m guessing you could get it all for around $500-$800 and bolt most of it in.

  9. by hoplow73 April 17, 2010 at 12:03 pm

    If you were rear ended the other party is responsible to paying for your damages…unless the police have determined that the accident was your fault. If it was not your fault try to go through their insurance company.

    Also if you should check with your old insurance company and explain the problem, depending on when they actually closed your old policy you might still be covered. I used to work for an insurance company, policies were paid a month in advance so they did not stop until the end of the period. If your old company works like this you might be in luck.

  10. by Matt W April 17, 2010 at 12:41 pm

    If someone rear ended you, it is their fault 99.9% of the time. Call that person’s insurance company and demand that they pay for the repair. The fact that you had no insurance does not change that they are responsible for paying to fix it. Additionally, they need to provide you with a rental car while your vehicle is being repaired.
    In many states, you are also entitled to additional money because your car is now worth less now than it was before (even if it is repaired). This is called a diminished value claim. There are other special circumstances that need to fall into place for you to get this though, like it only applies if this is the first accident this car has experienced.

    ~auto claims adjuster, 6 years.

  11. by PAUL B April 17, 2010 at 1:04 pm

    Body shops do not inflate estimates – go to another body shop and get a second estimate it will be close – a body shop has to write the estimate to meet I-Car standards and return the vehicle to safe standards in pre-accident condition to avoid liability. You could find a body shop that will cut corners to repair the vehicle to a drivable condition provided you sign waivers. If it is a $7k estimate they may do the job for $6500 but any lower and they would have to skip repairs. Just have it fixed so it can be driven and pay for the repairs little by little, do not have the vehicle painted until reapirs are complete just have them prime the repaired areas and shoot the paint at one time to avoid blend lines – if you have more questions contact the people at this site —->

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

© Smash Repairs 2018.