by Kris Reid  May 31, 2010 11:16 am

Hello people, please help me out.
My car was parked in a private parking area and the front part was smashed by a driver when he was backing a van. I have already gone filed a claim with his insurance company and the company has already assigned an adjuster to me and he is gonna call me today, i havent talked to him at all, i just left voice mails to call me back asap. My car’s front part was smashed, rightside headlight was out of place / snatched out, grills were torn and some bolts or parts might have fallen down at the accident spot. Should i demand for repair or total my vehicle ? My classes are gonna start from Tuesday so i’m in a deep deep trouble now, i dont have any rides. I have these questions :

1. I have permit but the accident happened while the car was parked, so is there any problem for me? cuz all fault was of the other party.
2. If they provide me with a rental and i dont have the license, but my best friend/ roommate does, can we take the rental car on his driver license and he n i will use the car to go to college? is it compulsory for the rental to be on my name?
3. will the insurance company give at least some downpayment for totalling the vehicle because I really need to buy another car if i have to because i have to go college 4 days a week. so frends, u can figure out how much i need a car.

please help me out frends,,,, this was my first car accident and my car was parked !!,,, I appreciate you for any advice, thanx

Trackback URL


  1. by steve_miller_5 May 31, 2010 at 11:26 am

    Basically, none of these personal details have anything to do with it. The other guy’s insurance will (or at least should) take care of the repairs to your car. The rest is up to you, in terms of arranging rides temporarily while your car is being fixed.

    The other guy’s insurance will not provide you with a rental. As far as a down payment for buying another car, what they will give you is enough to repair your car. If the car is worth less than that, then they will give you the car’s value. It is up to you to decide if you want to use the money to fix the car or to buy another one.

    Good luck.

  2. by Qextor May 31, 2010 at 11:35 am

    A claims adjuster will determine whether to write off the car or have it repaired. If the insurance co does pay for a rental, it will need to be in your name since you are the claimant and it is for your benefit. If you have a driver’s licence, it shouldn’t be hard to keep it with you; you are not supposed to drive without it anyways.

    If the adjuster decides to write off the car, you will receive the price it would be worth if you had sold it [before the collision happened]. They have a book of car values that is used to determine a fair value for the car.

  3. by Tina Marie May 31, 2010 at 11:50 am

    1. No you don’t have a problem because you have a permit.

    2. No I don’t think they will give you a rental car. Now your car is probably titled in your parents name so they could get a rental car and if they want to they could let you drive it.
    3.Some Insurance companies send out an adjuster and issue you the check right then. it will be up to the adjuster whether to total the vehicle or elect to repair it.

    Now what I have seen people do when the car is totaled out is to buy the car back from the insurance Co, then get it fixed with wrecking yard parts..

  4. by Eric H May 31, 2010 at 12:06 pm

    1. No problem – a moving car that hits a parked car is always 100% at fault.

    2. Problem – You’ll have to talk to the insurance agent about that – I don’t think they’ll go for that sort of arrangement, but see what you can work out. One thing you can use – if you can’t drive, the insurance company might have to pay for cab fare instead. That may make the agent more reasonable.

    3. No, they’ll pay all at once.

    Don’t sound so desperate, either. The insurance adjuster is there to reduce the payment by the insurance company, not to help you out.

    If you sound desperate, he’ll use that as a lever to get you to agree to a price that’s too low.

    Regarding “totalling” the car – that will depend on the amount of damage – if the repair plus the cost of providing you with alternate driving methods exceeds the book value of the car, they’ll write it off.

    Now, RELAX.

  5. by Ruth S May 31, 2010 at 12:21 pm

    Who is the legal owner of the car that got hit? And whose name is on the insurance policy? Yours? When someone hits a parked car, the other insurance company will pay for the damage. As noone was hurt, you can’t claim any beneifits for that! You say you only have a permit to drive, not a license! So if the car is legally yours, how did you buy it, and did you get insurance? I don’t think they are going to give you a loaner while your car is being repaired or totaled! And they definately won’t give your friend a car in lieu of the accident!!! Go get yourself a license for goodness sakes, AND buy insurance on the next car you buy!

  6. by ? May 31, 2010 at 1:03 pm

    The adjuster will decide if the car will be repaired or totalled, you can’t decide that.
    If they do total it they will give you the money for the value of that car, that should be enough for atleast a downpayment.
    You have to be atleast 21 to have a rental car, so your roomate will not be able to have that. You should look into borrowing a car from someone for a week or publc transport.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

© Smash Repairs 2018.