by Kris Reid  June 6, 2010 7:02 pm

Wife’s coworker was fired, and during an irate and speedy exit he smashed her front end, and now we are having multiple computer issues with the car.
She immediatly filed a police report in Manchester, NH but after a phone call this morning we have no confidence that this guy will be apprehended (security at her job had the guys info so Manchester police didn’t consider it a hit & run, despite him fleeing the scene of accident)

Should I hire an Attorney? What can I do about repair costs?? Should I be complaining about the level of police cooperation in this matter??

Trackback URL


  1. by Hillary is a Tool June 6, 2010 at 7:57 pm


  2. by Just Me June 6, 2010 at 8:21 pm

    Well, I assume you know the guys name. Look him up in the phone book or on the Internet. Send him a registered letter along with a repair estimate and ask him to pay you what is owed.

  3. by raverchix02 June 6, 2010 at 8:33 pm

    You need to hire an attorney and they can help you with the right course of action.

    You did the right thing in filing a police report, and it’s not considered a hit and run unless they don’t know who did it.

    The good thing is, you do know who the person was, and you do have a police report, so the attorney can help you out in what to do next.

    Good luck and I hope you get the money you need to fix your car!

    (For now, take advantage of the bus, it’s cheaper than gas, good for the environment. Also, take advantage of walking places. It’s good exercise. I’m not kidding. I lost 15 lbs. in one week!)

  4. by Hammertime June 6, 2010 at 8:39 pm

    You will have to hire an attorney and sue him for the damages….

  5. by 6.02x10e23 June 6, 2010 at 9:23 pm

    Depending upon the amount of damage incurred, it might be best to handle it in small claims court without an attorney.
    As for it being a “hit and run,” it depends a little on how such things are handled in your state.
    Just because the identity of a person is known at the time of an event doesn’t take away from whether it was a hit and run. But in some states, where an event occurs on private property it is handled as an “incident” rather than an accident, and the traffic laws may preclude the suspect from be charged for leaving the scene of a property damage accident.
    If this is the case in Hew Hampshire, I’d suggest pursuing it as a vandalism or malicious injury to property. While it probably wouldn’t result in his license being suspended, it would help to accomplish the most important issue you have… who is going to pay for the damage to your vehicle.

  6. by Mr. Praxis June 6, 2010 at 10:08 pm

    You need an attorney without a doubt. You need to sue his insurance company and probably the him too. Let the attorney sort out the mess. In the meantime, try finding some cheap auto insurance too.

  7. by stingjam June 6, 2010 at 10:12 pm

    Get an attourney.

    1. The hit and run by some legal definitions is really about whether the person is fleeing the scene to avoid responsibility knowingly or out of sheer ignorance of his legal responsibilities. If he hasn’t reported the accident to a police station or even his insurance company, then THAT in itself maybe an indication of intent. Have your lawyer discuss this with police.

    2. Based on what you described, you need to SUE the man and file a claim with his insurance company. If you don’t have his insurance information, you would need to get it either with the assistance of the police or with the local DMV office (some may require documentation from the police). There usually is a record of the last insurance company listed with each vehicle’s registration info. Your lawyer would be the best person to guide you.

    It may not matter that you didnt have insurance, if the vehicle was in proper working condition before and the driver (if there was one at the time) had a valid license.

    All depends on local laws though.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

© Smash Repairs 2018.